Portfolio Video Slideshow - Play in 720p when viewing in full screen. **UPDATED JANUARY 2013

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, January 31, 2011

MY COMMUNITY: Career Day at the Tottenham Public School

As I mentioned in my last post about joining Helping Hearts, last week was a great week :)

A couple of weeks earlier, my friend Sarah Toth gave my name to Jen from the Tottenham Public School as someone who might be interested in speaking at their Career Day for the kids. What a fun opportunity!

So of course I said 'YES' when Jen called to see if I was interested!

I mean really....look how long it too me to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. It wasn't until a few short years ago when I was in my late 30's. It wasn't like I didn't like the jobs I had during my career so far, but I knew it just wasn't 'the' thing I wanted to be doing.

When my little Ben told me a couple of months ago (when I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up....I like to check in with him on that every once in a while), "I don't know Mommy, there are so many things to choose from", I don't think he really knew how right he was.

The kids were great. When I arrived, four of them greated me and gave me my schedule, map, water bottle and name tag. They were very organized and very polite.

I had four sessions to do. They were 30 minutes each, and trust me, 30 minutes to talk and answer questions really isn't that much time. Especially when the path I took to get to where I am now wasn't necessarily straight path. When you take a look back at the things you've done and accomplished, sometimes it's surprising and you wonder how the heck that all happened.

Some students had questions, some didn't. Some had an idea what they wanted to do career wise, and other had no idea. Pretty much standard. :) There was one girl, Kelly, who seems to have an interest in Photography and we chatted for a while. It will be nice to hear about her journey in discovering if Photography really is something she wants to pursue long term.

Hopefully the students got something out of my time with them. Even if something I shared about my experiences made only one or two of them think about something they hadn't considered contemplating before, that's pretty cool. As I mentioned in at least one of the sessions, you don't know what you don't know, so keeping an open mind and being in a continual learning mode will help you be successful at whatever you do.

The familiar chairs, desks and bins of the classroom



Thanks for looking and thank you to the Tottenham Public School for inviting me to be a part of their Career Day.

-- Lisa P.

No comments: