Portfolio Video Slideshow - Play in 720p when viewing in full screen. **UPDATED JANUARY 2013

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, March 15, 2009

MY COMMUNITY: Procyon Wildlife

Being involved in the community is something I've always wanted to do more of. Having moved to the Tottenham area almost 3 years ago now, I finally found one way to be involved that seems to fit in with where my interests have been taking me for years.

Procyon Wildlife is dedicated to providing skilled care to orphaned, injured and otherwise distressed Wildlife. Animals are cared for by veterinarian, Dr. Cynthia Post and their trained staff of volunteers. The animals are released into their original habitats as soon as they are healthy and able to fend for themselves.

Dr. Post had an article in the local newspaper several weeks ago that talked about what she did and how they were looking for volunteers. Of course, realistically, with a full time 'day' job, about 30 or more hours a week on photography and a 5 year old, for a few seconds I thought I must be crazy. But that did pass and I decided to go to the meeting and see if the ideas floating around in my head would even be of interest to the Procyon Wildlife team. There must be a way that I'd be able to put some of my skills to good use on projects that didn't have time restrictions I wouldn't be able to commit to. I love taking photographs of wildlife and nature and being able to do that and at the same time use those photographs to help raise money for this organization seemed almost too good to be true :)

And that's how I ended up on the fundraising & administrative volunteer team headed up by Pauline English.

Today I went to my first meeting with some of the other volunteers. There are so many ideas and so much work to be done. It's all very exciting. The Procyon Wildlife web site is not yet operational, but when it is, I will definitely post a link to it.

Keep a watch out for more posts about my adventures with Procyon Wildlife under the 'My Community' category.

-- Lisa P.

No comments: