Portfolio Video Slideshow - Play in 720p when viewing in full screen. **UPDATED JANUARY 2013

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, May 31, 2009

ON THE BUSINESS SIDE: Exposure & Twitter

One thing that I think is important is exposure. And I'm not talking about exposure in my camera. ;)

I don't have a budget for big advertising and marketing campaigns, so what I'm using are tools available to me that have no associated monetary cost. Things like:

Word of mouth
Facebook Page
This Blog
Google Maps Ad
Twitter
and a few other things....

Twitter is the most recent addition. If you're a follower of my blog, you may have noticed that I added a Twitter Feed to this blog about a week ago. If you didn't notice, you can find it on the right side column, just under the Live Traffic Feed.

Twitter is an interesting thing. It's filled with SPAM and useless information. But on the other hand, I've also found useful information there (things like news related items, industry specific information, etc.). I figure I have to take the bad along with the good.

My Twitter profile name is 'PictureYourLife'. I pretty much from the beginning decided to tie it to my business.

How does it work? Well, you 'follow' people, which means that whatever they are writing about is pushed to you. Someone sees you following person 'X' and they decide to check you out. If they like what they see, they might follow you. Then they get whatever I'm writing about pushed to them. And it goes on and on. It's a slow process that seems to just grow over time. You follow people, they follow you, their followers follow you, etc. etc.

My goal in using something like Twitter is basically to get the word out about my business. I've noticed that maybe every other time or so that I post an update I get a random hit on my blog. It's also helping me become more aware of information in my industry as well.

There has been talk that Twitter might not be free to use in the future. If it does become a pay to use service, I'll have to re-evaluate if it's still worth it to use. I figure, even if I only get one or two leads from using Twitter, between that and the tidbits of useful information that are pushed to me daily, it's worth using if it's free.

I decided to try out Tweet Deck, which is an application that helps to organize the informatin you're following on Twitter. I find it quite useful. It helps me to weed out the people I'm following who I don't necessarily want instant update from.

So if you're on twitter. Follow me!!

-- Lisa P.

No comments: