Portfolio Video Slideshow - Play in 720p when viewing in full screen. **UPDATED JANUARY 2013

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

ON THE BUSINESS SIDE: Lovin' my 'new' network!! <3

So my meeting with my friend and previous colleague Chris D this past weekend was definitely eventful. :)

He got almost all of the computers in the house to talk to each other and share 'stuff'. We had one problem child and that's hubby's desktop. It's the senior of the bunch, maybe 6 years old, and it's being stubborn and not wanting to communicate openly with the rest of the group. That's not that big of a deal though as it's not used extensively anymore.

I know I could have eventually figured out how to get it all set up if I had the time to spend, but those who know me and my already hectic schedule know that there aren't many extra minutes in a day. Having Chris come over was a much better use of my time and money! :)

There are two time savers that have been implemented. I can now share files easier between computers. This is handy because all of my photo files are on one computer where I do all of my photo editing, and it was a bit of a pain when I wanted to use some of those photos on the other computer I usually do web work on. So that was step number one in my file management improvement project. The second thing that I am VERY happy about is that I can now print from my computers to my older printer that is attached to my 5yr old's computer. Sometimes I just want to print out text or draft items and I hate doing that on my dedicated photo printer.

I really confused my son the other day when I printed something on his printer. He was playing a game on his computer and I sent something to print and walk out of the room to do something else. It took a little while for the document to spool to his printer and when it started to print he started hollaring for me. "Mommy! Mommy! I was playing my game and I didn't even print any pictures or anything and my printer is printing something out!!!!" heeheehee ;)

I know for some, these are little, simple things to set up, but sometimes it's the simple things that make me happy :D

The next step in this project is to implement a dedicated file server. Hopefully in the next few weeks that will all get sorted out. Chris is working on a couple of other jobs right now, so I have to wait until he's done with those.

Thanks Chris for coming up this past weekend. :)

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to his web site:

www.demaninservices.com

-- Lisa P.

No comments: